I deleted the original commentary because I don’t feel it’s necessary to insult the craft of other actors to make the point. The point makes itself. Black women in Hollywood are, much like black women in any other industry, the most consistently fucked over regardless of training or prestige or awards.
White people often think that because it’s so difficult for white actors to break into this industry, it’s equally hard for everyone. But as hard as it is, let’s be honest: if I recall the numbers correctly, 89% of calls for men and 92% of calls for women are either only for white people or are white-coded calls (“All-American type” and so on). That means that in spite of white people making up 72% of the population, they make up at least 90% of the people we see on our film and TV screens. But that’s not all! Of the remaining ~10% of roles, the majority are “any ethnicity” calls, which are more likely to go to white actors. And of the portion that’s left, which is maybe 4-5% of total roles (not leads, mind you, but roles of any kind), there are specific calls for each other race. And, as shown by many instances of whitewashing but maybe most blatantly when Nicholas Winding Refn decided that the Latina the script for Drive called for wouldn’t seem to the audience like someone worth protecting and cast Carey Mulligan instead, roles cast specifically for actors of color often go to white actors anyway. And as demonstrated by Kristen Stewart’s quote above, when white actors break, it’s much easier for them to continue getting high-profile work than it is for black actors.
This industry is fucked when it comes to its black professionals, especially its black female onscreen talent.